login   |    register
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
REVIEW
1/72 Airfix: P-40B [81-A-2]
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
Joined: October 15, 2009
KitMaker: 1,750 posts
AeroScale: 1,592 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2011 - 09:00 AM UTC

Tim Hatton [litespeed] takes a look at Airfix new 1/72 Curtiss Hawk 81-A-2. This brand new tooling offers markings for one aircraft flown by Flight Leader Charles H Older while flying for the ‘Flying Tigers’ based in China.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
md72
#439
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
Joined: November 05, 2005
KitMaker: 4,415 posts
AeroScale: 2,912 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2011 - 11:54 AM UTC
Wow, a real leap forward compared to the Airfix P-40E I built earlier this year. Ok so that kit was as old as I am, and this is new stuff. Still, someone cares.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
#051
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Joined: December 21, 2002
KitMaker: 7,441 posts
AeroScale: 3,075 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2011 - 01:15 PM UTC
Hi Tim,

Nice review of a neat new model of the legendary P-40!

Siderius, you looking at this?
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Joined: September 20, 2005
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2011 - 01:19 PM UTC
I see it. I have two P-40's in my collection now, the Academy Curtiss P-40E and the Hasegawa Curtiss P-40N! Don't know if I want to build another right now!!
Looks like a good kit though. Russell
mike_espo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Joined: September 26, 2011
KitMaker: 125 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 - 03:45 AM UTC
Not sure about this one. I am in the market for a 1/72 p-40 AVG, but with the heavy panel lines, small prop blades and .303 machine gun barrels, Ill probably pass. Maybe would be OK as a flying model...as one wont use the prop or the decal instrument panel will not show.

Very disapointed at the box art: The AVG NEVER encountered the A6M zero. 80% of the aerial opposition was the fixed gear Ki-27 nate, the other 20% was the Ki-43 I Hayabusa. I wish Airfix would not perpetuate this falsehood.

Probably go with the AML or Pavla....Or kitbash the AML with the Trump......