login   |    register
World War II: Soviet Union
Russian aircraft of WWII
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Eduard 1/48 Yak-3 Build
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Joined: September 03, 2009
KitMaker: 6,715 posts
AeroScale: 6,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 28, 2012 - 02:39 AM UTC
The yellow stripes are straight lines, yes? It should be fairly easy to mask and paint them.
bdanie6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Joined: November 09, 2008
KitMaker: 615 posts
AeroScale: 459 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 28, 2012 - 11:32 PM UTC
As Jessie says, the yellow stripes are straight lines and you'll just need to replace the star. If you want to go with another units markings you'd have to stripe down the entire plane

Once the decals are on be sure to Future them, that should prevent a recurrence of this problem.

And I'll have to get this kit myself now, it just looks great.

Later
Snorri23
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Joined: March 25, 2010
KitMaker: 514 posts
AeroScale: 244 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 29, 2012 - 01:23 AM UTC
A great build and subtle weathering, I have only built their He 280 which went together quite nicely. I do have their Bf 110 in the stash. The interior with what I have read is basically 02 which was stated by Jess, a tad more green. Continue on with your successful builds.
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Joined: March 30, 2004
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 29, 2012 - 09:39 AM UTC
Yup, it's always good to seal decals with a coat of Future / varnish / what-have-you prior to any further treatment. Keeps them in place.
Hope you get it sorted out. Your build's looking fabulous so far! That weathering and chipping looks really nice.

I agree, those don't look too hard to mask and paint. If you didn't seal the decals, they should come off easily with some tape.
Hope there's suitable replacements on the kit's decal sheet. Shoot me a message in case there's not. I have some leftover Soviet stars in my decal folder and I might have fitting one.

lespauljames
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
Joined: January 06, 2007
KitMaker: 3,661 posts
AeroScale: 369 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2012 - 03:38 AM UTC
hey guys, I removed the decals via the tape method a few days ago, as i dont spray, i clearcoat with vallejo acrylic resin satin varnish. before and after decals. As i need to keep the finish looking awesome, i have to micro coat theese, so that is probably how i had bubbling.

There is a replacement stripe ( albeit in white, ) that i will use. I did try painting the yellow one with enamel ( i was NOT happy with the results so it's decal time.!!)

Eetu, I may have to take you up on your very generous offer, As i rarely build Aircraft, let alone soviet ones my decals on the subject are nonexistant. I'll pop you a PM, I appreciate the thought!

Well, its a little dissapointment, BUT. i will soldier on and do what i can to carry on for now, The /uc needs painting and attatching. and i am going to have to remove the canopy. that blob is driving me CRAZY!!!

all the best, and thanks for the kind words.


James
lespauljames
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
Joined: January 06, 2007
KitMaker: 3,661 posts
AeroScale: 369 posts
Posted: Friday, August 17, 2012 - 05:51 AM UTC
all is done now! thanks to Eetu for sending over some spare transfers, I put the finalising touches on last night!

so here we go!
let me know what I could have done better, ( bearing in mind I use a brush.)









Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Joined: September 03, 2009
KitMaker: 6,715 posts
AeroScale: 6,011 posts
Posted: Friday, August 17, 2012 - 05:57 AM UTC
That's very nice indeed!
Bask in the glory of a completed model.
DougN1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
Joined: August 08, 2011
KitMaker: 410 posts
AeroScale: 409 posts
Posted: Friday, August 17, 2012 - 12:21 PM UTC
Nice looking Yak you have there

Doug
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Joined: March 30, 2004
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Friday, August 17, 2012 - 10:10 PM UTC
Turned out real nice! Great workd.
Mustanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Joined: July 06, 2012
KitMaker: 94 posts
AeroScale: 33 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 18, 2012 - 03:23 AM UTC
Your Yak looks quite good.
Naseby
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovakia
Joined: October 15, 2010
KitMaker: 781 posts
AeroScale: 445 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 04:48 AM UTC
Very good work, Your toppic remembered me how fun it was to buit this one.
GastonMarty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Joined: April 19, 2008
KitMaker: 591 posts
AeroScale: 503 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2012 - 08:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It's a really wonderful build. I think the only thing "wrong" with it is that Eduard made the oleo struts extended as if it was flying rather than sitting on the ground. IIRC you need to shorten them by a couple mm to make it sit correctly.



There's a lot more wrong with the kit than that...

Here's what a Russian guy did to very cleverly correct it: It's all in Russian but the images speak for themselves:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_16224.html

There's also the windscreen angle issue which I think he did not make more sloped despite his newly made canopy...

An epic build! The Accurate Miniatures Yak-1 has the very same rear fuselage issue, but is a far worse kit, as are the ICMs, even though they apparently don't have this plan view tapering issue...

The Modellsvit kit has none of these issues, but is not easy to build.

Gaston