After finishing the construction of the upper wing split flap area, I next turned my attention to the actual split flap itself. Like the top wing, Trumpeter molded the flap with a large trailing edge gluing surface, so that the flap ribs are way to short, as they end right at that gluing surface. You'll also notice 5 rather large ejector pin depressions.
I filled each depression with Bondo Glazing and Spot putty. When dry, I sanded and then sealed them with CCA glue.
Next up I cut and glued a trailing edge lip from Evergreen 1x4 plastic strip, and the leading edge stringer from 1x3 plastic strip.
Then using 1x3 plastic strip, I covered and lenghened the top of each rib, which as before also serves as the top stiffening plate that the kit ribs don't have, and then made the center stringer out of individual pieces of 1/3 plastic strip.
I dry fitted the flap to the wing to see how it actually looks. and I was more then pleased with the results.
Then came priming time. I decided that the viewing area will be dark enough to create shadow depth, so I went with MIG AMMO Gray Acrylic primer. I was intending to paint the flap surfaces Green Zinc Chromate, as seems to have been the standard practice at that time. As I looked through my resources and photos I realized that I didn't have a single picture of the flap extended. More Google searches, and a lot of guesses by modelers. Intereior green and GZC were the prevailing colors. I finally tracked down more of Dana Bell's research, and once again there wasn't a definative answer. Grumman had approval to use Grumman Gray as a primer and a color. They seemed to have followed their own painting procedures as with the Cowl and cowl flaps, and paint the inside surfaces of the Flaps Grumman Gray. But the aircraft produced by GM followed the standard Navy color practices, and painted them Yellow Zinc Chromate, not Green Zinc Chromate.
As I stated in my last post, the closest color to Grumman Gray was FS36440 which is also the same shade of Gray as the Mig Ammo primer. So, that's the way I went.
Once the primer has set up, I dry fitted the flap to the upper wing:
And finally a overall image of the back of the entire wing.
Now on to the other wing.