I've continued to focus on both the wheel well and the wheel well compartment. 1st order of business to to get all the putty work smooth and ready for primer as the final shaping of the wells has been completed. It went from this
To this with the addition of a primer coat of Mig Ammo Gray Acrylic Primer.
I also primed the outside of the wells just to make sure that there are no issues remaining there
I next addressed the top fuselage seam which is a real eye sore when one looks into the compartment from any opening. I did decide to remove the alignment pin and it's housing. The results look more then satisfactory.
At this point I'm more then satisfied with the body corrections and work. Next I airbrushed the wheel wells and the well compartment with my mix of Tamiya Acrylics to duplicate Grumman Gray: 2 parts XF19 Sea Gray to 1part XF-2 White, thinned 50/50 with Tamiya Yellow cap lacquer thinner. After it dried, I really couldn't tell the difference in colors between my mix and the Mig Ammo primer.
My brother Pete did have some reservations as to just how close I got the wheel wells so that the tires snugged up to a nice fit. Originally, I had the openings way to large and to far out of round. So I reworked both wells with more strips of sheet plastic, Bondo, and CCA glue, I got it this close, which is the best I can do.
Next up was engine mount. I surely wasn't prepared for this stage by any means. The mount is comprised of the front ring which in real life is the attachment point for the engine, but not in the kit, as the engine is attached to the engine mounting plate. I started with the upper landing gear strut assembly which is two pieces. The piece that the lower strut assembly is attached to is a very sloppy fit and I'm pretty convinced that I got it a tad to far back.
Then there are 3 parts that represent the tube framing. What surprised me was that each side piece actually shares one mounting hole with the center piece to represent the wield joint to the fire wall. Once you firmly push all 3 parts in place, they instantly correctly align, and it's an extremely solid joint. Here's the completed engine mount.
Next up I test fitted the front engine plate with the twin intercoolers attached. I'm still trying to find a few pictures of the plumbing that I can add for effect.
Then just for the fun of it, I dry fitted the P&W R-1830 Wasp engine.
And one picture of the fuselage with engine.
Thanks for stopping by and checking out my progress.