The cockpit of my 1/72 F6f-5n is ready for paint now that Ive finished adding some details. My first step was to improve the pilot seat and bulkhead. In the seat I added a scap of .010 styrene sheet that is cutout to simulate the reinforcement across the lower back side. I also added a lever to the left side that I see in photos. I have no idea what it is or where it attaches but there it will go and should look the part. On the bulk head I rebuilt the "towel bar" with some stretch sprue and added some strips of Tamiya tape to simulate the harness ends going behind the seat. I also opened up the upright ends of the seatframe.
Next I decided to tackle the left side console with all of its levers. I added some razor saw cuts to the throttle quadrant hoping to catch some of the dark wash to come later. Some touch ups to the area were naturally required. I then drilled for the levers using a #80 bit.
For my levers I used stretched sprue that was glued into the holes, trimmed to length, bent into position and given a coat of tamiya extra thin to help them hold shape. To these I added blobs of micro kristal clear for the knobs and handles. A little tough to see here unpainted.
My next stop was to detail the dasboard which should have a radar display of sorts. So using the Squadron in action book on the Hellcat I fabbed up this display using a piece of .040 rod a 1.1mm punched disc of .020 sheet and stretched sprue.
I also took the opportunity to spruce up eduard's rubbish Mk.VIII gunsight. Instead of a semi shaped bit clear plastic theyve opted to give us a pillar of opaque grey to represent the combining glass and all(seen here on the unused alternate PE base dash piece). Using a razor saw and my trusty xacto I removed the glass portion leaving some side pieces to support a clear piece to be added later.
Naturally after I finished this effort I got a hold of this reference shot showing the nightfighter specific equipment
and another link with more details here
Great stuff for those interested the operation of US WWII night fighting radar. So I learned I actually had built a display for an earlier AN/APS-4 radar and not the proper AN/APS-6 which looks much less conspicuous. So Eduard's treatment, by adding nothing more than an orange circle on the instrument decal, is pretty fair in this scale. Still I needed to correct mine and add the control boxes to the cockpit, built and wired with scrap bits of styrene. OCD commands it.
Now for some paint, finally!!!