A bit more progress. The plane is finally starting to look like a plane! Fuselage is closed up, wings attached, and gaps and ridges puttied and sanded down. I wasn't too careful with the dihedral though. Despite that, the molds set the angle pretty nicely. Pretty surprising, given how poorly the rest of the kit has aged.
(Interesting note, it appears that my model was kitbashed from multiple releases. I bought it from my local model shop's discount pile. It had the original 1974 Monogram box and instructions, some sprues stamped 1974, others stamped 2001, not sure about the decals.)
I also started detailing the booms a bit. I made internal partitions, my first experiment scratchbuilding with sheet styrene.
I'm also working on correcting the cowling rings...the left is closed, and the right is open. Not looking to do much more than open the left side, I do want this to be as OOB as possible.