login   |    register
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Airfix 1/72 Me Bf109E-4 otb finished.
Overijssel, Netherlands
Joined: September 13, 2003
KitMaker: 339 posts
AeroScale: 244 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2018 - 06:48 PM UTC
Hi guys and gals,

My first model of 2018 is finished! The Wip can be seen here 

It was my first 1/72 in maybe 25 years. I had more fun then I expected. Personally I am quiete pleased with the result. Except for some really annoying sprue attachments this was an easy build. Painting went quiete well but there are some mistakes I made:

1. Damaged the balkenkreuz on the left wing, tried to repair that with a bit of paint.

2. The canopy parts suffer from underspray. Need to mask the insides or just attach them after painting.

3. I made a mistake with the leg attachments, cutting them but due to the that I couldnt get them in the typical broad stand.

4. I am a bit unsure about the spinner.

5. Due to poorly engineered attachment points and poor handling I broke the antenna. Thus making it more fiddly then before to attach the antenna wire. Its all not correct but I keep it this way.

So if you guys have further advises or comments let me here. I hope you can enjoy the result.

Greetings TC

Staff MemberAssociate Editor
New York, United States
Joined: December 04, 2010
KitMaker: 10,680 posts
AeroScale: 7,368 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2018 - 11:01 PM UTC
Very nicely done. Weathering looks perfect for a operational aircraft that was properly maintained.

Netherlands Antilles
Joined: September 02, 2014
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
AeroScale: 295 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2018 - 11:36 PM UTC
Lars, looks good, mate! If you won't list those errors, not many will note them. The antenna and the stance maybe... I'm myself looking to build the "perfect kit" since ages and I don't think I reach half way...

Joel is right: it looks just right for a Stab Schwarm aircraft.

Stockholm, Sweden
Joined: May 02, 2006
KitMaker: 1,834 posts
AeroScale: 1,783 posts
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2018 - 03:46 PM UTC
Lars! I think it would be worthwhile to try and fix that antenna, that's the only thing you listed that really stands out looking bad. Apart from that you have a fine 109 there!

Masking the inside of the windscreen and the rear part of the canopy is fiddly and difficult to do without damaging the interior, a neat trick is to temporarily attach the canopy to close off the cockpit using masking fluid or heavily thinned wood glue, both can be split open again easily after painting is finished!

Hope to see some more 1/72 from you Lars!

Overijssel, Netherlands
Joined: September 13, 2003
KitMaker: 339 posts
AeroScale: 244 posts
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2018 - 10:47 PM UTC
Guys so many thx for the nice comments 😊.
Next up will be fw190 A/11 from Revell.

Greetings and happy easter.