1⁄35Tiger 1 Ausf E
Panzerkampfwagen VI Tiger Ausführung E by Tamiya (35216) has been reissued in 2008 as a ‚Limited Edition’ with added metal barrel, PE-meshes for the rear deck and pre-assembled (!) metal tracks by Friul.
AssemblingThe inclusion of Fruil tracks was the reason for me to build in a workable suspension provided by Atelier Infinite. At first I soaked the styrene which had to be removed inside the hull with glue by Revell. Its aggressive properties helped to soften the styrene enough that a simple knife was sufficient to cut it off. Then I fixed the resin parts using superglue with attaching the static parts first as it was simply easier. Finally I glued the moveable parts and assembled the upper hull onto the lower one.
PaintingFirst thing was to apply a prime coat, then I shaded edges, panel lines etc. with “Flat Black”(XF-1) and applied thinly the base colour “Dark Yellow”(XF-61). In accordance with Adam Wilder’s colour modulation I painted several sections like some of the Schürzen or the hatches of the upper hull with colours which are similar to “Dark Yellow” e.g. “Desert Yellow” (XF-60) or “Deck Tan” (XF-55). Next thing I did was to alter the base coat by applying small oil dots of yellow colours by Schmincke and MIG. Then I have filtered the edges only with oil paints “Prussian Blue” and “Karmin Red” by Schmincke.
WeatheringThe first fading effects were achieved by adding dots of white oil paint. A gloss coat followed to ease the washing followed. The mixture consisted of Tamiya’s enamel “Flat Black” (XF-1) and “Red Brown” (XF-64). I let the wash dry for a few hours, and then I used a soft brush and enamel thinner to remove some of the washing mixture which results in further fading to give the tank a more weathered look. The tracks were painted with “Flat Earth” (XF-52) and “Khaki Drab” (XF-51) and painted/dusted with oil paints and pigments mentioned below. Then I began to weather the Tiger with oil paints “Light Mud”, “Industrial Earth”, “Shadow Brown”, “Buff” and “Wash Brown” by MIG. Finally I applied MIG-pigments “Europe Dust”, “Brick Dust”, “Concrete”, “Light Dust” and “Dark Mud”. These pigments were not only used to simulate dirt, they were also useful to post-shade edges and panel lines with e.g. “Dark Mud”.
Copyright ©2019 by Marco Sari . Images also by copyright holder unless otherwise noted. The views and opinions expressed herein are solely the views and opinions of the authors and/or contributors to this Web site and do not necessarily represent the views and/or opinions of AeroScale, KitMaker Network, or Silver Star Enterrpises. Images also by copyright holder unless otherwise noted. Opinions expressed are those of the author(s) and not necessarily those of AeroScale. All rights reserved. Originally published on: 2009-05-16 00:00:00. Unique Reads: 13666